Tuesday, July 7, 2015

My Passion and Calling

This weekend I had the opportunity to help on my family farm.  While some part of me wanted to be at the lake for the 4th, once I took my seat in the tractor, I knew I was exactly where I was meant to be.  I milked cows, I helped care for cows, and I hauled home alfalfa which was stored to make delicious food for the cows.  I worked hard and I sweated profusely in the 90 degree heat but it was the best vacation I could’ve asked for, I was right where I was supposed to be.  I have a deep faith in God and I believe that God calls each of us to a specific vocation to do his work.  From a young age I knew I was called to be a farmer.  As a young woman that seemed like a daunting vocation, but as a maturing woman I know there is no better fit for me. 

Farming is a noble vocation.  It is a vocation of faith and charity.  Farmers grow nutritious food, fuel and fiber for a growing population while caring for the land and God’s creatures, all while hoping for future generations to take the torch and keep on farming.  I am so proud to be part of the next generation of farmers as well as inspiring yet the next generation to follow.  God put cows in my heart for a reason.  God put a love of the land in my heart for a reason.  While hauling hay home I was in complete awe of the beautiful gifts the Lord blesses farmers with.  Farmers see the wonders of nature, capture the glories of life to give life.  Farmers feed people; what an amazing vocation!  Farmers care for the land; what an astonishing responsibility!  Farmers care for livestock; what an awesome duty! 

There is a small segment of the population that possesses the skills and passion required to grow and raise food to feed people and I am so proud to be called to that elite group.  There comes a time in life where you know you are exactly where you are supposed to be.  Where it just clicks.  Farming is hard work and there are difficult days but I would take a bunch of difficult days for just one great day farming.  Farming has never felt “like work” for me.   Don’t get me wrong, it is hard and I am not trying to sugar coat it, but I have always felt drawn to keep on trying no matter what my farming life threw at me.  Farming is my calling and my passion and I will keep on fighting for my vocation, it is God’s work that I am called to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write this blog to share my passion for my cows and farming, please be respectful of that. I reserve the right to delete those comments which portray hate, call names, and are out right disrespectful. If you have an honest question, I will respond, to explain what we do on our farm, why we do it and how we do it. Please read with an open mind. My time to blog is short, as most of our days are spent caring for our beloved cows. Thank you!