Thursday, March 19, 2009

TWIN HEIFER CALVES!!!!!

I know I haven't blogged in awhile, it's been crazy at the farm, especially since the weather is warm and the fields are drying. I just can't hold it in any longer though!!!! Today we delivered TWIN HEIFER CALVES!!!! While twins are rare, twin heifer calves are even more rare. Typically a cow that is pregnant with twins often delivers a bull/heifer set of twins.

Jonathan and I were working on helping our cow "Precious" to deliver her first calf. After we got her 1st calf out we noticed she was a smaller calf for a large 3 year old cow. Jonathan said to me "Hmm...we should check for twins". I washed my arm up and went in for a feel...sure thing! There were another set of feet coming our way. We got our equipment ready to go for baby number 2. She also was an easy delivery....and Precious loves them both. Stay tuned for pictures soon.....and these calves are also yet to be named...but it should start with a "P" since their mother's name is Precious and they have an older sister "Priceless" I am always open for new ideas :)

1 comment:

  1. princess and patches (assuming she is a spotted breed such as holstein or ayrshire) :)

    ReplyDelete

I write this blog to share my passion for my cows and farming, please be respectful of that. I reserve the right to delete those comments which portray hate, call names, and are out right disrespectful. If you have an honest question, I will respond, to explain what we do on our farm, why we do it and how we do it. Please read with an open mind. My time to blog is short, as most of our days are spent caring for our beloved cows. Thank you!