Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Winter fun!

http://www.9wsyr.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=250926@video.wixt.com&navCatId=5

We have to deal with winter just like this as well. Thanks to today's winter storm, chores took an extra 3 hours. Cows like to "bundle up" just like humans when it's cold outside. Cows eat more feed when its cold, to help stay warm. We add more bedding to help the cows "nest" to stay warm, much like human add another layer of clothes or sleep with extra blankets. We had to add extra bedding to the calf huts as well. Calves get an extra feeding of milk to give them extra energy, also helping them to stay warm. Needless to say I am sure that the cows, calves and humans at Orange Patch Dairy are more than ready for spring to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I write this blog to share my passion for my cows and farming, please be respectful of that. I reserve the right to delete those comments which portray hate, call names, and are out right disrespectful. If you have an honest question, I will respond, to explain what we do on our farm, why we do it and how we do it. Please read with an open mind. My time to blog is short, as most of our days are spent caring for our beloved cows. Thank you!